|General Santa Rosa Island / Public Visitation FAQ
- How long does it take to get there?
- Can we get to the seals/sea lions?
- Possibly from the shore if they are in the water. Most of the time they do not come ashore in Bechers Bay.
- How long does it take to walk to the beach?
- From the camp site, or airplane, 10 minutes or less.
- Does CIA offer a Senior citizen or AAA discount?
- Is there any place to get something to eat/amenities?
- There are no restaurants or stores. There are public restrooms with flushing toilets.
- Is there an airport there?
- Yes, there is one private dirt airstrip on Santa Rosa. CIA is the only operator permitted to fly the public to Santa Rosa because CIA is the official flight concessionaire to the Channel Islands National Park.
- Can I fly myself there and land with my own airplane?
- No you cannot. The airport is strictly private. Though you are allowed to fly over the Channel Islands National park above 2000 feet AGL.
- How far in advance should I book?
- As far in advance as possible. At least a week is preferred.
- What is the cancellation policy?
- 72-hour advanced notice is required.
- We do not issue refunds; if you’d like to inquire about a refund please contact Groupon directly.
- If you wish to cancel or reschedule your Trip, your request must be made a minimum of 72-hours in advance of your scheduled date. If cancelled less than 72-hours before event date, the voucher is void. All cancellations and rescheduling inquiries for your Trip must be made in writing via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone calls are not considered a formal means for rescheduling or cancelling a reservation.
- No shows will result in negated Groupon voucher; we will mark your voucher as redeemed with Groupon.
- If your Trip is cancelled by CIA for any reason, you will be able to reschedule your experience for a future date.
- If you wish to cancel or reschedule your Santa Rosa Island experience, your request must be made a minimum of 72-hours in advance of your scheduled date. If cancelation is attempted less than 72-hours before event date, you will be considered a no-show and no refund will be issued. All cancellations and rescheduling inquiries for your Trip must be made in writing via email to email@example.com. Phone calls are not considered a formal means for rescheduling or cancelling a reservation.
- No shows will not be refunded or rescheduled.
- If your Santa Rosa Island experience is cancelled by CIA for any reason, you will be able to reschedule your experience for a future date.
- Where is the airport on the island?
- The airport is located in Bechers Bay, between the historic Vail & Vickers ranch and Water Canyon.
- Can you see other islands on the way to Santa Rosa?
- You will fly over Anacapa Island and Santa Cruz Island on your way to Santa Rosa.
- What happens if the weather is bad the day of our flight?
- The flight will either be delayed or rescheduled. If they flight leaves Camarillo late, it will stay later on the Island to permit you to get the full 3 hour tour.
- What kind of airplane do we fly on?
- Britten-Norman Islander, holds 9 passenger and 1 pilot, twin engine airplane specifically designed to land on short dirt runways.
- How often does CIA fly out there?
- CIA flies to the Islands daily, but only offers public visitation flights on particular days. Trip schedule is posted at www.flycia.com.
- What Islands does CIA fly to?
- CIA flies regularly to Santa Cruz, Santa Rosa and San Miguel Islands, yet only offers public visitation to Santa Rosa Island.
- Is there transportation to any other island from Santa Rosa?
- Not with CIA. Some Island Packers boats leave Santa Rosa and head to Santa Cruz or San Miguel. Check with Island Packers.
- Are there bathrooms and running water?
- Yes there are public restrooms with flushing toilets and running water.
- What is the weather like on Santa Rosa?
- The weather varies… Can be sunny and hot, foggy and cold, or very windy. Springtime is the windiest time of year. Fog lasts from spring through summer. Between rain storms in the winter are some of the best days on Santa Rosa.
- Where is the Channel Islands National park? Which Islands are included?
- Channel Islands National Park consists of five of the eight Channel Islands that span 160 miles off the coast of southern California: Anacapa, Santa Cruz, Santa Rosa, San Miguel, and Santa Barbara Islands.
- When was the Channel Islands National Park established?
- Although Anacapa and Santa Barbara Islands were designated a national monument in 1938, it was not until March 5, 1980 that Congress established San Miguel, Santa Rosa, Santa Cruz, Anacapa, Santa Barbara, and the submerged lands and waters within one nautical mile of each island as Channel Islands National Park.
- Can I stay longer for the same price?
- No. CIA offers only the 3-hour daytrip. Special arrangements can be made with CIA to stay longer with more passengers.
- What kind of vehicle do we drive out there?
- 4x4 Diesel Chevy Suburban, or 4x4 Diesel Ford Excursion.
- How much time do we get on the Island?
- What is there to see/do on Santa Rosa?
- You can visit the historic Vale & Vickers ranch, the oldest wooden structure in Santa Barbara County is on Santa Rosa in the Vail & Vickers ranch, the second natural existence of the torey pines in the world, beautiful ocean views, sometimes see the island fox in the wild, sometimes see Elk and Deer in the wild. Also hiking, camping, bird watching, photography, or just relaxing to the soothing sounds of the natural world.
- What should I bring?
- Recommended layered clothing, hiking shoes/boots, camera, hat, drinking water, and snack/lunch.
- Can I bring surfboards?
- Surfboards can be taken on a space available basis on camping trips only. Short-boards without a case/bag are much more likely to fit than long boards.
- Are there flushing toilets?
- Yes, in the camp ground and in the Vail & Vickers ranch.
- Are there hot showers?
- How far is the hike from the airport to campground?
- Can I have a campfire?
- Camp fires are prohibited by NPS due to fire hazard.
- How will I cook without a fire?
- CIA provides Coleman style propane for its customers on Santa Rosa. Please bring your own Coleman style camp stove.
- If I do not want to use a Coleman style camp stove, can I bring my own using white gas or other flammable substance?
- No. CIA cannot fly hazardous materials, and will not permit such substances to be flown on their aircraft.
- What should I bring?
- In addition to all camping gear, we recommend layered clothing, hiking shoes/boots, camera, hat, drinking water, and snack/lunch. Also bring a Coleman style camp stove.
- Is there drinking water on Santa Rosa Island?
- Yes there is potable water in the camp grounds. Most prefer to bring their own drinking water, yet this water is perfectly safe to drink.
- Can I camp on the beach?
- Beach camping is seasonally permitted by the National Park Service. No transportation is provided on the island for campers who want to beach camp on other sites on the island. All gear must be hiked from airstrip to whatever destination they choose to camp at.
- Can I bring a dog or other animal to the Island?
- No animals are allowed on Santa Rosa Island.
- Can I bring a bike to the island?
- No bikes are allowed on Santa Rosa Island.
> General Santa Rosa Island Information
> Day Trip Information
> Camping Information
||305 Durley Avenue
Camarillo, CA 93010